November 27th, 2017
Top 5 Reasons to Replace Doors, Windows and Siding Together
Sometimes, our clients ask, “Which should I replace first? My doors and windows, or my siding?” The truth is, the best way to go about the exterior remodeling process is to replace siding, doors and windows all at one time… Here are the top five reasons why:
- Get the look you WANT: When you want to turn your house into your dream home, you will want to pay attention to the details. When you replace doors, windows and siding together, you can coordinate the style, color and trim to get the look you want. On the other hand, outdated doors and windows will be exaggerated by new, stylish siding, and tired walls won’t do justice to modern new windows, so you may never get the look you want when you do siding or windows first.
- Get the protection you NEED: The most expensive damage to your home can occur when water penetrates the walls and windows. Air infiltration can make your home uncomfortable all year round. Siding, doors, windows, vapor barriers, flashings and tapes must work together to protect your house from water penetration and air infiltration, so you get the protection you need from Mother Nature.
- Prevent mold and mildew in your walls: Mold and mildew can make the indoor air quality unsafe for you, your family, pets and future buyers of your home. Often, the only correct way to install Tyvek to prevent mold and mildew from growing in the walls of your home is to replace siding, doors & windows at the same time.
- Insulate your home: There will never be a less expensive time to add insulation to your home’s walls than when you replace siding, and the most effective way to properly insulate the entire home is to replace the siding, doors and windows at the same time. The properly insulated home is cooler in summer, warmer in winter and quieter every day of the year. A well-insulated home is also less expensive to heat and cool because it uses less energy all year round. Insulating your home isn’t about any one part. It’s about all the exterior surfaces of your home working together to save money and to keep you and your family cozy and warm.
- Lower your maintenance costs:Using one contractor to replace both the siding and windows at the same time will not only make exterior remodeling more convenient and cost-effective, it will also decrease the amount of money we spend to take care of the outside of our home. If you choose your exterior remodeling contractor wisely, you should receive long warranties that cover parts and labor for your new siding and windows. Also remember, when you work with one remodeling company and replace the siding and windows at the same time, there is never a question of who is responsible if there is a problem in the future.
While some homeowners will drag their feet because they are frightened of taking on such a big project, choosing to replace the doors, windows and siding together tends to be both easier and more cost-effective. As time goes on, they’ll be glad they combined these projects into one process to save dollars and headaches down the road.
This blog is from Door and Window Market [DWM] magazine's free e-newsletter that covers the latest door and window industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to [DWM] magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.