Happy New Year and a Look at the Top Stories of 2019December 30th, 2019 by Kyra Thompson
It’s been an exciting year for door and window companies, making headlines for closures, company changes and litigation. As 2019 comes to a close, let’s look back on some of the most-read stories in the industry over the past year.
- Vista Window Company Closes— In January, Ohio-based Vista Window Company closed its operations in the Lordstown area. Several employees spoke with [DWM] confirming the closure, which ended up causing quite a buzz in the comment section of the story.
- Masco Corp. Announces Intent to Sell Window Businesses— In June, Masco Corp. announced it would sell Milgard Windows and Doors, part of the company’s window division. Later, MI Windows and Doors announced it would purchase Milgard the acquisition was finalized in November.
- DOJ Statement Points to Another Loss for Jeld-Wen in Antitrust Lawsuit— This ongoing lawsuit began in 2016, and defendant Jeld-Wen Inc. has not shown signs of giving up any time soon, in spite of multiple loses against plaintiff Steves and Sons Inc. The most recent loss hit $7 million in November.
- Marvin Becomes a One-Word Brand— In April, the company previously known as Marvin Windows and Doors announced it would be rebranding for simplicity. The name became Marvin and the company’s yellow rose emblem also became more modern.
- Masonite Closes Facilities, Aims for 10% Cutback to Manufacturing— In March, Masonite informed [DWM] of its intentions to close three of its facilities affecting an estimated 220 employees. The company said it planned to cut back manufacturing sites by 10% by the second half of 2020.
Happy New Year
The [DWM] team would like to wish our readers a happy and prosperous new year and thank everyone that made the publication, as well as its website, newsletters and video newscasts, a success in 2019. We look forward to continuing to create the stories that matter to the industry, like those in the top five list, in 2020.
This article is from Door and Window Market [DWM] magazine's free e-newsletter that covers the latest door and window industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to [DWM] magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.
What about the sale of NewSouth Window to PGT? A Factory Direct Door and Window company that had attained 100 million dollars in annualized sales in 2019 in less than NINE calendar years ?
Ir seems that this story could serve as an inspiration to many in our industry?
THE FUTURE IS VERY BRIGHT FOR ALL OF US.
VISION…STRATEGY…EXECUTION, THAT IS THE ANSWER.