The U.S. Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu announced last week that the Department of Energy is providing more than $66 million in funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act to expand weatherization assistance programs in Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut and Hawaii. The funding, along with additional funds to be disbursed after the states meet certain Recovery Act milestones, will help these states weatherize approximately 26,300 homes, which includes weatherization of doors and windows.The states received 40 percent of their total weatherization funding authorized under the Recovery Act, adding to the initial 10 percent of each funding allocation that was previously awarded for training and ramp-up activities. The remaining 50 percent of funds will be released after states meet specific reporting, oversight and accountability milestones required by the Recovery Act. The states may spend up to 20 percent of their total funds to hire and train workers, according to a DOE press release.

DOE’s Weatherization Assistance Program will be available to families making about $44,000 a year for a family of four. Weatherization projects allow low-income families to save money by making their homes more energy efficient, which results in average savings of 32 percent for heating bills and savings of hundreds of dollars per year on overall energy bills. States will spend an average of $6,500 to weatherize each home.

The Recovery Act includes a strong commitment to oversight and accountability, while emphasizing the need to quickly deliver funding to states to help create new jobs and stimulate local economies.

For more information on the weatherization program and to hear of one window company very involved in this program in Texas, watch the August edition of the DWM newscast, which will hit readers next week.

Also look to the September issue and the From the Publisher column for more information on this topic.

And, finally you can find more information, such as state contacts, by clicking HERE.

News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *