Smile … You’re on Candid Camera!August 27th, 2013 by DWM Magazine
Remember that show? I watched it as a kid growing up and now I realize what I liked so much about the show. The first word is so important—SMILE!
I wanted to help everyone understand the importance of smiling every day. I hear many people in my travels talk about how limited they are in life, in their career and financially. Perhaps you know someone who is typically negative, generally unhappy and find it almost impossible to crack a smile.
You might find yourself in a bit of a funk, well there is a simple solution—smile! Yes, that is right, smile. Consider these proven facts:
- Smiling can lift your spirits! It has been proven that smiling can dramatically improve your mood and increase happiness both for you and those around you. Think about the last time that you had a great laugh; it started with a smile then erupted into a laugh. Now think about how you felt afterwards, it is hard to think about this event and not smile, right?
- Smiling helps your self-confidence. Think about being in a crowded room with all your best potential prospects there with you. You walk in and you are immediately presented with two groups of people. One is smiling and laughing and having a good time, while the other group is standing there, not smiling, barely talking and not making much eye contact. Now honestly, which group would you go to? You can confidently walk up to the smiling group, put on a smile and watch your confidence boost as you engage in conversation with a smile. In job interviews, this works wonders. On a recent blog I asked, “Would you hire you?” To help answer this, make sure that you smile in a job interview; it will help you get the job!
- Smiling is contagious. Like yawning, smiling is contagious to those around you. In the example above, if you were strong enough and had self-confidence, you would have been able to go to the group of “non-smilers” and if you smiled long enough, people would either leave or start to join you. It allows you to be better received by others since most people like to be around positive people.
- Smiling is a signal of approval. People will have positive feelings about you and will be drawn to you if you are smiling. If you are not having personal success at business functions, ask yourself this, “Why are people not drawn to me?” Answer: Think about how many times you smile in an average day. More on that later.
- Smiling helps you stay positive. Try this test (wait, no one told me there would be a test J). Smile. Now try to think of something negative without losing your smile. It is hard to do. When we smile, our body is sending us a message that “Life is good!”
Now just to wrap this up with some interesting statistics …
- Kids smile on average: 400 times a day
- Adults smile on average: 20 times a day
- Women smile more than men: 8 times more
So, now that you know this, I encourage you to use this to your benefit. Smile at adversity, smile at your worst enemy and smile when you get near others. See what happens!
I’m smiling already and can’t wait to hear the positive things that this is going to do in your life!