IGMA Wraps up Annual ConferenceFebruary 8th, 2013 by DWM Magazine
The 2013 Insulating Glass Manufacturers Alliance (IGMA) Annual Conference comes to a close today in New Orleans’ French Quarter.
The final day of the conference consists of a closed session board of directors meeting, which is slated to end with the election of a new alliance president to replace the outgoing president, David Cooper of Guardian Industries.One of the many highlights from this year’s conference was a presentation given yesterday by Chris Barry of Pilkington North America titled “How to Calculate Glass and Sealant Stress in Insulating Glass Units (IGUs).” Barry, who recently retired from Pilkington after 45 years in the industry, offered attendees several methods and observations for evaluating the stress loads and potential breakage of IGUs.
According to Barry’s presentation, methods for calculating stress are:
“1. Assume starting sealed air space pressure = barometric pressure;
2. Change air space proportionally to the assumed change in pressure (with no resistance from glass bending and no pressure difference across each lite);
3. Calculate the ‘flexibility’ of the size, shape and thickness of glass for that change in gap dimension;
4. From given equations for wind, temperature and barometer differences, calculate net pressure difference across each light;
5. With glass flexibility from Step 3, extract new (more accurate) air space pressure;
6. Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 with the new air space pressure, from step 5, until final air space pressure does not change; and
7. Calculate glass stress and deflection.”
Barry says he uses a “pressures and stresses” calculator, available in a free spreadsheet format on FDR Designs’ website, to help calculate these figures.
He also made several observations noting, “IG seal certification sizes (14” x 20”) can easily break glass (~5 percent reported) while in test,” and adding, “We should be testing what we install, not 14- by 20-inch [units].”
Stay tuned to www.dwmmag.com for further updates on the IGMA Board of Directors meeting and information on the newly elected president.