Door and Window Manufacturer magazine will feature its grand award winner in its third annual green awards in the upcoming November-December issue. The winner was chosen from the dealer category, but we are also featuring nominees in some of the other groups as well. This week we are featuring a nominee—Royal Building Products, that falls into a few categories—supplier and R-5 Windows–for its Eco-Window product family.
The essential characteristics of an environmentally friendly fenestration product, according to Royal, are:
– Durability over the years of the window system.
– High-energy performance in cooling, heating and mixed climate.
– High condensation resistance.
– High structural performances and water resistance.
– A level of resistance for air infiltration and air exfiltration lower than 0,100cfm/ft2. That level of resistance needs also to be achieved at -30C (-22F) as it is at ambient temperature.
– Recyclability of materials used.
– Aesthetics by its design, colors and finishes.
According to Royal’s nomination, the company kept these factors in mind when developing the ECO-WINDOW product family.
From its all vinyl window system to the hybrid window system, the ECO-WINDOW product family is available for both residential and commercial construction. The line includes the all vinyl single- and double vertical and horizontal sliders, plus the vinyl casement, awning and fixed windows. All of these series can achieve a R5 value, according to the company.
Additionally, the Fusion Hybrid Casement window system meets Miami Dade and Broward County standards and can also achieve an R5 value.