Contact Lumber Achieves ISO 9001 Compliance for Quality Standards

Contact Lumber Co. of Portland, Ore., has received notification from the International Organization for Standardization that its quality management and controls are in compliance with ISO 9001:2000.

ISO 9001 is a global recognition system that acknowledges product and service companies who meet and maintain quality management and controls in a variety of areas. The ISO 9001:2000 most recently replaced the now obsolete ISO 9001:1994.

"We've long recognized that we have a responsibility to our employees, our customers, our community and our owners to operate with quality as a first priority," said Peter McKibbin, vice president. "Conformance with ISO 9001 helps us to gain respect and recognition worldwide for our company's existing mission."

To obtain ISO 9001 conformance, a company must successfully show compliance in four main areas of quality control, with the overall goal to establish, implement and document the company's quality management systems. Contact Lumber has implemented 98 percent of the requirements with the other 2 percent in development for review this fall, leaving zero requirements "not in conformance."

The compliance measures include:

  • Management's support of the quality systems in place through creation of objectives and policy, promotion and planning, education, communication, implementation, improvements and upgrades, reviews and overall customer satisfaction.
  • Resource provisions, which include: identifying resources (for both the company and its customers), providing quality personnel with proper experience, education and training, maintaining a quality infrastructure and providing an exceptional work environment.
  • Planning of product realization, or defining product quality objectives and requirements, identifying product needs and requirements, documenting and controlling the customer related processes, purchasing systems and oversight of the monitoring systems in place.
  • Implementation of audits to monitor and analyze the system, a focus on continual improvement within the system, controlling non-conformant products as well as corrective and preventive actions for these products.

"We work in industries that require Ready to Assemble (RTA) component parts be produced within very tight tolerances," said McKibbin. "The exacting standards placed on us by our customers helped to pave the way toward our being able to achieve ISO compliance in a relatively short period of time."


DWM™ is a registered trademark of Key Communications Inc.
Publisher does not accept responsibility for statements or claims made by advertising placed on this website.
Signed articles represent the opinions of the writer and not necessarily those of the publisher.
All information published on this website is believed to be accurate.
No responsibility is assumed for losses incurred due to errors in text and/or graphic content.


No reproduction of any type without expressed written permission.